• We’re expecting patchy fog before 10 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 81 degrees and a south wind 6 to 9 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 68 and a 20 percent of early morning showers. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday, which will otherwise be mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 79 degrees.
• The 19th Annual Rell Sunn Surf Contest and Art Auction are coming up on Aug. 12 and 19, respectively, and our Montauk Correspondent, Dave Davis, has spent the past few weeks talking about the good work done by the East End Foundation, which organizes the contest, which helps people in need. Read Dave’s account online here.
• Neighbors in Support of Immigrants will hold their third annual “Celebration of Immigration” at the St Rosalie’s Church Community Center, 31 Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays, this evening, Aug. 4 from 6 to 9 p.m. Money raised will go to help local immigrant families in need of legal assistance. There is a $10 charge for adults and children under 16 can attend for free. More details are online here.
• The Riverhead Cardboard Boat Race is this Sunday, and The Beacon’s boat is nearly complete. Registration begins at 9 a.m., there’s a hula hoop contest at 11:30 a.m. and races continue until 4 p.m. Come cheer us on!
• Riverhead Town will host a New York State Citizen Preparedness Corps Disaster Preparedness Training on Monday, Aug. 14 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at town hall. All members of the public are welcome to attend, and will receive a free disaster preparedness kit. You can register online at www.prepare.ny.gov.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Find out all the details in our events calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.