2 Long Wharf Dredge Thomas Commeraw jar 1796-1816 3 sherds side a copy
Community History Top Stories

Long Wharf Finds Tell History of Sag Harbor

Pictured Above: Sherds from Thomas Commeraw pottery found in the Long Wharf dredging. Commeraw was a free black man working in Manhattan from 1796 to 1816. Today his work has sold into the $20,000s. by Jo-Ann McLean Havens Beach Shardrock Chicken” by Dana Erickson, arranged from Mochaware sherds, produced in Europe in the late 1700s through the late 1800s. Mocha was sold as hotelware, and remains have been found in
A shuttered former migrant camp on Edgar Avenue in Aquebogue.
Community History Literature Top Stories

Tracing the History of Long Island’s Migrant Labor Camps

Pictured Above: A shuttered former migrant camp on Edgar Avenue in Aquebogue. If you grew up on the East End, chances are you saw a glimpse or heard stories about the migrant farm labor camps that proliferated here during the heyday of the potato industry in the 1950s and 1960s.  These camps, which were enabled to operate due to World War II-era staffing shortages, have long been a hushed stain
Community Flanders History Riverhead

Celebrating The Big Duck’s Birthplace

Pictured Above: Members of the Flanders Village Historical Society, the Riverhead Town Board and descendants of one of the builders of The Big Duck celebrated the new marker on Nov. 19. The Big Duck is pretty much synonymous with the Southampton hamlet of Flanders, a place of deep pine barrens and wetlands just south of Riverhead known for its sportsman’s havens and history of duck farming. While the giant cement
Amagansett Community East Hampton History

Amagansett Maritime Heritage Day Goes Virtual

The Second Annual Amagansett Maritime Festival is going virtual this Saturday, with programs celebrating the rich and unique story of the Amagansett community and its relationship to the sea. The event is a joint project of the East Hampton Historical Society, the Amagansett Livesaving Station, the Amagansett Library and the East End Classic Boat Society. Marianne Howard from the East Hampton Historical Society will tell the story of Amagansett’s very brave
The cover of Jeffrey Colvin’s novel “Africaville.”
Arts Community History

Plain Sight Series Sheds Light on History of East End Slavery

Pictured Above: The cover of Jeffrey Colvin’s novel “Africaville.” Historians focusing on African American history on the East End are teaming up with the East Hampton Star newspaper for a project they're hoping will give names and dignity to people who had historically been enslaved here. The Arts Center at Duck Creek in Springs is sponsoring the Plain Sight Lecture Series, three talks throughout the month of August, presented by
Community History

A Reckoning for Orient Slave Graveyard

Pictured Above: The sign that had long marked the entrance to the “Slaves Burying Ground” in Orient was taken down in June, during a massive nationwide reckoning on the way this nation has remembered slavery. Tucked off of Narrow River Road in Orient has long stood a puzzling and stilted acknowledgement of the North Fork’s history of slave ownership. The site was long anchored by a sign posted by the
Arts Community History

Sag Harbor Celebrates its Heritage and Diversity

The evolution of a diverse community over three centuries is the focus of this year’s Sag Harbor Cultural Heritage Weekend, to be held Friday, May 18 through Sunday, May 20. This year’s theme, “Sag Harbor: Diversity, Adversity and Change,” highlights the diverse communities that have contributed to Sag Harbor’s evolution from the first Port of Entry to the United States to a bustling whaling village to an industrial center to

Suffolk Historical Society to Host Symposium on “Long Island & The Great War”

Continuing their commemoration of the centennial of World War I, the Suffolk County Historical Society is hosting a symposium on the Long Island experience during the war on Saturday, March 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The symposium will feature presentations by the following group of distinguished First World War researchers and authorities:  Libby O'Connell - Feeding the Fight: Food, Propaganda, and WWI James McKenna - Camp Mills in Mineola David Clemens and Suzanne
The Peconic Riverfront in the 1890s. The Congregational Church in the background is still standing today.

Riverhead’s 225th Anniversary, Told in Photos

[caption id="attachment_39881" align="alignnone" width="600"] The Peconic Riverfront in the 1890s. The Congregational Church in the background is still standing today.[/caption] On the heels of two successful Dodransquadricentennial celebrations in Southampton and Southold last year, Riverhead’s Quasquibicentennial this year has proved to inspire somewhat less interest — both an anniversary ball and a parade originally slated for the town’s 225th Anniversary were cancelled earlier this year. That’s a shame for a
The Sag Harbor Partnership has launched a new self-guided walking tour, "Permanent Residents of Oakland Cemetery."
History Sag Harbor

Permanent Residents of Oakland Cemetery: A New Walking Tour from the Sag Harbor Partnership

[caption id="attachment_29567" align="alignnone" width="631"] The Sag Harbor Partnership has launched a new self-guided walking tour, "Permanent Residents of Oakland Cemetery."[/caption] The Sag Harbor Partnership, which has been busy the past several years putting together a series of self-guided walking tours of Sag Harbor that can be accessed through iPhone and Android apps, announced this week that they've released a new walking tour, just in time for Halloween, titled "Permanent Residents
The Brewster House on Flanders Road in March.

The Brewster House of Flanders: A Community Treasure or an Accident Waiting to Happen?

[caption id="attachment_24690" align="alignnone" width="600"] The Brewster House on Flanders Road in March.[/caption] While the current owners of the storied massive dilapidated blue former boarding house on Flanders Road are making the rounds of community meetings drumming up support for conversion of the building into a boutique hotel, Southampton Town Board members aren't sure if the building can be saved. After a public hearing Tuesday, May 10 before the board on whether