• Today will be sunny, with a temperature falling to around 40 by 5 p.m. and a northwest wind 10 to 18 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 16. There’s a 30 percent chance of light snow after 3 p.m. Saturday, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 39.
• The Quogue Wildlife Refuge will host fireside stories and conversations with Shinnecock Nation elders this evening at 7 p.m. More details are online here. [$10]
• The Flanders Fire Department and FRNCA have rescheduled their winter blood drive for this Saturday, Jan. 14 from 1 to 7 p.m. It had been cancelled last weekend due to the snow. There is an emergency need for blood and they’re urging all eligible blood donors to attend.
• Numerous civic, civil rights and literary organizations throughout the East End are holding special events this weekend to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. We have more details online here.
• The North Fork Environmental Council is kicking off a new lecture series with a presentation by Kevin McAllister of DefendH2O on “Living on the Edge,” about local climate change issues, at the Jamesport Meeting House on Jan. 27 at 6:30 p.m. The talk is free and all are urged to attend. Mr. McAllister will also give the same presentation at the North Fork Audubon Society’s Red House in Greenport this Sunday, Jan. 15 at 2 p.m.
• The Peconic Estuary Program will be holding their next Citizens Advisory Committee meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 25 at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County, 423 Griffing Avenue Riverhead, NY 11901 from 1 to 3 p.m. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Find out more in our events calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows (tides for the next several weeks are always available here):
MTK Hbr: 9:11 a.m., 9:36 p.m.
Orient: 10:12 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Greenport: 10:40 a.m., 11:05 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 10:35 a.m., 11 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 12:02 p.m.
S. JPT: 12:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:28 a.m., 8 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 10:01 a.m., 10:28 p.m.
Orient: 11:02 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
Greenport: 11:30 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 11:25 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 12:27 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
S. JPT: 12:34 a.m., 12:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:17 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.