• Today will be sunny, with a high near 41 degrees and a calm wind becoming west 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. We’re expecting increasing clouds tonight, with a low around 27. There’s a chance of freezing rain before 9 a.m. Tuesday, then a 70 percent chance of rain throughout the day. Otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 41. There’s a 50 percent of showers Wednesday, mainly before 3 p.m. Otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 46.
• Hampton Theatre Company’s new production of “400 Miles,” the story of a young man who embarks on a cross-country bicycle trip to meet up with his girlfriend in New York, only to end up on his grandmother’s doorstep when his girlfriend refuses to see him, is a real gem. The play runs for two more weekends, through Jan. 29. Read The Beacon’s full review online here.
It’s been a busy weekend for social activists on the East End, primarily due to days of action planned in conjunction with Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday, which was Sunday but is being celebrated with today’s national holiday.
• Three East End spiritual leaders discussed non-violent protest, the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. and their experiences bearing witness to the Dakota Access Pipeline protests in Standing Rock in a special discussion at Canio’s Books Saturday night. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Pastor Natalie Wimberly of the Clinton Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church in Greenport preached an impassioned call to social action that left the room humming with energy at Southold Town’s celebration of the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. yesterday evening. Our full story is online here.
• About three dozen supporters of the Affordable Care Act rallied on Montauk Highway adjacent to Stony Brook Southampton yesterday afternoon. Our full story is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 11:42 a.m.
Orient: 12:21 a.m., 12:43 p.m.
Greenport: 12:29 a.m., 1:11 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:44 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 2:11 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
S. JPT: 2:18 a.m., 2:40 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:55 a.m., 10:34 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 12:11 a.m., 12:32 p.m.
Orient: 1:12 a.m., 1:33 p.m.
Greenport: 1:40 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 1:35 a.m., 1:56 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 3:02 a.m., 3:23 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:09 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:45 a.m., 11:24 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.