• Today will be sunny, with a high near 37 degrees and wind chill values between 5 and 15, with a west wind 10 to 13 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 49, and Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 45.
• Several dozen kids from high schools throughout Southampton Town spent nearly three hours on Jan. 17 telling the town’s opioid task force their fears and offering suggestions to help alleviate the growing opioid use epidemic here. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• “Next to Normal,” the 2008 musical that explores how one suburban household copes with crisis and mental illness, opens tonight at the North Fork Community Theater in Mattituck, and continues through Feb. 4. Stay tuned for our review later this weekend. More details are online here.
• Montauk Observatory will hold its first 2018 star party this evening, Jan. 19, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the South Fork Natural History Museum in Bridgehampton. William Francis Taylor will kick off the evening with a brief orientation about stargazing, then it’s out to the field with the telescopes (you’re welcome to bring yours) to explore the wonders of the night sky. They will also be holding star parties in February and March.
• The North Fork Environmental Council will host guest speaker Lynn Arthur, Chair of the Southampton Town Energy Sustainability Sub-Committee, for a talk on reducing your energy costs at their monthly Speaker Series this Friday, Jan. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Jamesport Meeting House. All are welcome to attend. More details are online here.
• The North Fork Audubon Society hosts a demonstration of doves bred for event releases at Salt Air Farm in Cutchogue tomorrow, Jan. 20 at 11 a.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:19 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:27 a.m., 10:57 p.m.
Greenport: 11:56 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:29 a.m., 12:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:51 a.m.
New Suffolk: 1:07 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:14 a.m., 1:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:22 a.m., 8:48 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:58 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:06 a.m., 11:38 p.m.
Greenport: 12:26 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:07 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:21 a.m., 12:30 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:48 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:55 a.m., 2:04 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:58 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.