• We’re expecting rain and snow this morning, becoming all snow after 7 a.m., then gradually ending, with new snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible. The temperature will fall to around 28 by 4 p.m., with wind chill values between 20 and 30 degrees and a north wind 6 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 12. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 24. There’ll be a 30 percent chance of snow before 1 p.m. Saturday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 28.
• The South Fork Wind Farm has received final approval of its Construction and Operations Plan from the Federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, paving the way for onshore work to begin as soon as later this month. Read More.
• Members of the Southold Town Board agreed to prepare a bid proposal for a stand-alone town justice court behind the Peconic Community Center at their Jan. 18 work session, after several years of exploring a variety of options for upgrades to town buildings. Read More.
• The East Hampton Town Board is slated on a measure to deactivate its municipal airport and reopen it as a Prior Permission Required airport in late February of this year at its 11 a.m. meeting this morning, along with public hearings on Community Preservation Fund acquisitions. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live here.
• Suffolk County reported 1,559 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, Jan. 18, with 13.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 949 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 138 of them in ICU. The county reported 15 new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to people since March of 2020.
• Peconic Bay Medical Center has been recognized as an “Age-Friendly System” by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Read More.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:23 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:31 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:36 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:55 a.m.
New Suffolk: 1:13 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:20 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:11 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:20 a.m., 9 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:09 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
Greenport: 12:31 a.m., 12:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:14 a.m., 1:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:26 a.m., 12:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:53 a.m., 2 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2 a.m., 2:07 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:49 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:58 a.m., 9:41 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.