• Today will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 49 degrees but wind chill values between 15 and 25 early, with a southwest wind 7 to 13 miles per hour. We’re expecting rain overnight, with the temperature rising to around 50 by 5 a.m. Rain will continue until around 3 p.m. Thursday, with the temperature falling to around 40 for much of the day. One to two inches of rain are possible Thursday. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 37.
• New York State Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele, Jr. and State Senator Kenneth P. LaValle announced Tuesday that Governor Andrew Cuomo has included an additional $500,000 in the proposed state budget for bus shuttle service as part of the South Fork Commuter Connection, which will begin on March 4. The state had already pledged an original $500,000 to Southampton and East Hampton towns to provide bus service to meet the new commuter trains. The towns are currently in the process of finalizing the bus routes. We’ll have more details when the plans are finalized.
• Organizacion Latino-Americana of the East End, known locally as OLA, has long been devoting its funding to providing direct assistance to local immigrants. This week, the 15-year-old non-profit is opening an office in the heart of downtown East Hampton to provide meeting space for attorneys and advocates. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• As East Hampton Town readies to adopt a series of hamlet studies, Montauk residents are restless, asking for more time to be included in the discussions. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• As part of our Winter Books series, we asked several Beacon staffers to share their thoughts on their writing process. Today, we’re featuring Editor & Publisher Beth Young’s piece: When A Robot Writes The News.
• Here’s an unusual way to spend a January Sunday: The Springs Tavern is celebrating artist Jackson Pollock’s birthday this Sunday, Jan. 27 (his actual birthday was Jan. 28) with a special birthday dinner, with two seatings at 6:30 and 8 p.m. Among many other of the artists favorites will be spaghetti with his famous sauce — Pollock had never eaten spaghetti before Rita Piacenza Benton, the Italian wife of Jackson’s teacher and mentor Thomas Hart Benton, introduced him to it. He learned the recipe for this sauce from Rita, and often served it to his friends in Springs. The three-course prix fixe is $40, and reservations can be made by calling 631.527.7800
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:15 a.m., 11:44 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:23 a.m., 10:52 p.m.
Greenport: 11:52 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:29 a.m., 12:49 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:47 a.m.
New Suffolk: 12:48 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:55 a.m., 1:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:26 a.m., 11:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:35 a.m., 9:14 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:16 a.m., 11:48 p.m.
Greenport: 12:21 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:21 a.m., 1:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:16 a.m., 12:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:43 a.m., 2:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:50 a.m., 2:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:21 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:30 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.