• There’s a chance of rain and snow before 1 p.m. today, then a chance of rain, with cloudy skies and a high near 39. There’s a chance of rain and snow before 11 p.m., then a chance of snow overnight, with cloudy skies and a low around 28. Thursday will start out mostly cloudy, gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 36. Friday will be mostly sunny and blustery, with a high near 25.
• We received a beautiful piece this week from a young local woman, Miranda Johann, about her reaction to watching last week’s presidential inauguration. Here it is, “Living History.”
• East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc, who has been in office since 2018, announced Tuesday that he plans to run for the Democratic nomination for re-election this year, in what we expect will be the first of several local political announcements. Stay tuned in the upcoming weeks.
• Southampton Town’s Community Law Enforcement Advisory Committee will hold its second listening session next Tuesday, Feb. 2 at 6 p.m. Here are more details.
• Suffolk County reported 1,135 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Tuesday, with 8.5 percent of people tested testing positive. There are currently 808 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 86 of them in ICU and 23 percent of hospital beds currently available. The county reported 15 new deaths from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 2,723 people.
• Another fun recent Tweet from Congressman Lee Zeldin about his views on tar sands oil and appeasing Russia. But you knew he would say this:
The Biden EOs are flying at a record pace. Killing Keystone XL Pipeline alone meant killing 11k+ jobs in 2021, reversing the US push towards energy independence, angering Canada & appeasing Russia & China. It's one dangerous bad call after another after another out of the gate.— Lee Zeldin (@leezeldin) January 26, 2021
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:47 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:55 a.m., 8:19 p.m.
Greenport: 9:24 a.m., 9:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:10 a.m., 10:43 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:19 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:46 a.m., 11:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:53 a.m., 11:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:45 a.m., 8:17 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:54 a.m., 6:26 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:27 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:35 a.m., 9 p.m.
Greenport: 10:04 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:53 a.m., 11:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:59 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:26 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:33 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:26 a.m., 8:58 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:35 a.m., 7:07 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.