• Skies will gradually clear today, with a high temperature near 36 degrees, with a northwest wind 16 to 23 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 33 mph. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 14. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 22 and Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 26.
• The way out of the East End’s housing crisis is creative thinking about how we define the environment we’ve built around us. The Parrish Art Museum convened a discussion a couple weeks back with an artist, a descendant of Southampton’s founders, a housing advocate and an architect. Here’s what happened.
• Riverhead Town reported Wednesday that it had been removed from the state’s “Yellow Zone” Covid-19 business restriction designation. “Earlier this morning, the Governor’s Office lifted restrictions put in place on November 25, 2020, in accordance with New York State’s Micro-Cluster initiative,” announced Riverhead Town Supervisor Yvette Aguiar. “I am happy to report, positivity levels in Riverhead are now declining. Now, more than ever, the public needs to strictly adhere to all Covid-19 protocol, while we await widespread vaccination. I am hopeful we are entering into the recovery stage of the pandemic.”
• Suffolk County reported 1,084 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Wednesday, with 7.1 percent of people tested testing positive. There are currently 782 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 84 of them in ICU and 21 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported 16 new deaths from the virus yesterday, bringing the death toll here to 2,739 people.
• The Southampton Town Board will hear updates on board members’ projects at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the login info.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.