• This week’s blizzard has created the single-largest loss of scheduled blood donations in the New York Metropolitan area since Superstorm Sandy. The New York Blood Center has issued an emergency blood appeal after the region lost approximately 3,000 pints of blood in the last three days, leading to a greatly diminished supply. You can schedule a blood donation online here.
• Opponents of the expanded hunting season in East Hampton are rallying Saturday morning, Jan. 31, at 1 p.m. at Two Holes of Water Park, just east of Swamp Road on Two Holes of Water Road in the Northwest Woods. East Hampton Group for Wildlife is planning to create a symbolic “human picket fence” next to hunting area at the park. East Hampton opened weekend shotgun hunting and weekend bow hunting on town-managed lands this January, the first in which hunting has been allowed on weekends in Suffolk County.
• Are you thinking of spring while you’re preparing for the blizzard? The Hallockville Community Garden has half & full plots available for the 2015 season! Reserve yours now online here: http://www.hallockville.
• In East Hampton, the EECO Farm has a few gardens that have become available and they are open to rent on a first come, first serve basis, so please act quickly. Send the farm an EMAIL if you are interested in having one of the few gardens available.
• East End Arts in Riverhead is launching its second annual JumpstART! professional development program for artists of all disciplines. Artists can apply to the program online here. The deadline for applications is Feb. 13.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.