This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.3.22
Good Morning, and Happy New Year!
• We’re expecting snow today, mainly between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m., with cloudy skies and a high temperature near 33 degrees, with wind chill values between 15 and 20 and a northeast wind 14 to 20 miles per hour. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches is possible. There’s a 50 percent chance of snow this evening before 8 p.m., with skies gradually clearing overnight, with a low around 18. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 36. We’re expecting rain Wednesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 51.
• On Dec. 30, the Covid-19 positivity rate in Suffolk County surged further to 27.6 percent, with 6,547 new cases recorded that day, out of 23,683 total tests. The county had reported three new fatalities that day, bringing the death toll here to 3,805 people since the pandemic began. There were 640 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 92 of them in ICU. There were 795 hospital beds available in the county (26 percent), with 96 ICU beds available (26 percent).
• Here’s the latest on Covid testing available throughout the region.
• East End towns have taken a mixed bag of positions on whether to opt out of allowing retail sales of cannabis within their boundaries by the Dec. 31, 2021 deadline, while the villages here have sent a clear message to Albany, opting out of allowing cannabis to be sold. Read More.
• As the new year kicks off, each of the five towns on the East End of Long Island is trying to figure out how to administer funds for community housing, which would be created if public referendums this November are approved by voters. Read More.
• The Beacon’s January print edition is now on newsstands throughout the East End. You’ll read many of these articles in print before you find them online, and our print edition supports much of the work we do. Here’s where you can find it.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:46 a.m., 10:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:54 a.m., 9:21 p.m.
Greenport: 10:23 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:21 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:18 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:45 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:52 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:04 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:13 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:40 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:48 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
Greenport: 11:17 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:12 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:12 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:19 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:57 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:06 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.