• Today will be sunny and cold, with a high near 18 degrees but wind chill values between -10 and zero, with a west wind 14 to 18 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 5. We’re expecting increasing clouds Friday, with a high near 24. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 37.
• The Riverhead Town Board will be hosting a Community Forum on Downtown Zoning this evening, Jan. 31 at 6 p.m. at Riverhead Town Hall, 200 Howell Avenue to discuss downtown building height, scale, and mass & community benefits with the community. All are welcome to attend. More details are online here.
• The North Fork Audubon Society and the North Fork Environmental Council are teaming up this evening to plan how to reduce single-use plastics on the North Fork, with a public forum at 6:30 p.m. at the Jamesport Meeting House. More details are online here.
• We’ve received some letters this week supporting a wind farm off of Montauk, in light of State Assemblyman Fred Thiele’s recent withdrawal of support for the project. In our latest editorial, we argue that the power purchase agreement for the project should be made public.
• Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor will be hosting a screening tomorrow of “Straws,” about the threat posed by plastic straws in our environment, tomorrow at 8 p.m. The screening will be followed by a discussion with Group for the East End President Bob DeLuca. [$12]
• Slow Food East End is holding a screening of “Deeply Rooted: John Coykendall’s Journey to Save our Seeds and Stories” tomorrow, Feb. 1 at the Southampton Arts Center at 6:30 p.m. [$15-$20]
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:38 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:46 a.m., 6:12 p.m.
Greenport: 7:15 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:59 a.m., 8:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:10 a.m., 7:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:37 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:44 a.m., 9:10 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:35 a.m., 6 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:44 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:24 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:32 a.m., 6:56 p.m.
Greenport: 8:01 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:51 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:56 a.m., 8:20 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:23 a.m., 9:47 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:30 a.m., 9:54 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:28 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:37 a.m., 5:02 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.