• There’s a 40 percent chance of rain and snow before noon today, changing to rain between noon and 1 p.m., after which skies are expected to clear, with a high near 42. The wind will be out of the southwest at 7 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 23. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain after 4 p.m. Tuesday, with increasing clouds and a high near 41. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 38 and a west wind 14 to 24 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of snow showers before 1 p.m., then a slight chance of rain and snow showers later in the afternoon.
The national news didn’t take a holiday break, and neither did the local news. While we were off, the following happened:
• The great hope of affordable housing advocates on the East End of a new tool to fund housing here was dashed Dec. 20, when New York Governor Andrew Cuomo vetoed a bill that would have established a Peconic Bay Region Community Housing Fund.
• Plum Island won’t get any closer to being sold in 2020, after the federal Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Appropriations Bill was signed into law Dec. 20.
• A Cold War-era missile defense base in Westhampton may become a New York State Superfund Site, after a survey of wells conducted by the Suffolk County Department of Health Services turned up contaminants in the area.
• Doctors from The Ellen Hermanson Breast Center at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital have been bringing health care specialists to the Dominican Republic to provide breast cancer screening, diagnosis, and surgical treatment to those in need. They’re heading back again in February and are raising funds for their trip with a benefit this Saturday at Southampton’s Union Cantina.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
January 6, 2020
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:25 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:33 a.m., 5:54 p.m.
Greenport: 7:02 a.m., 7:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:33 a.m., 8:09 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:57 a.m., 7:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:24 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:31 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:05 a.m., 5:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:14 a.m., 3:42 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:07 a.m., 7:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:15 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
Greenport: 7:44 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:21 a.m., 8:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:39 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:06 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:13 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:56 a.m., 6:27 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:05 a.m., 4:36 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.