• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 39 degrees but wind chill values between 20 and 30, with a west wind 9 to 16 mph. We’re expecting snow overnight, mainly after 1a.m., with a low around 27 and wind chill values between 15 and 20. New overnight snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches are possible. Snow is expected to continue into Friday morning, with a further 1 to 2 inches of accumulation, mainly before 10 a.m. Skies will clear throughout the day Friday, with a high near 33. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 34.
• Suffolk County reached an agreement in December to implement several key police reforms, including the use of body cameras and more integration with mental healthcare providers. Read More.
• We’re very proud to share that Beacon columnist Dave Davis, of Dave’s Desk@Ditch, has been chosen as a writer for “Who Smarted?,” an educational podcast for elementary school students. His first episode, “Why Do Dolphins and Whales Sleep with One Eye Open,” was released on Wednesday, Jan. 5. You can listen in here, or download the podcast through several mobile podcast apps.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold a public hearing on amending its Airport Layout Plan for the sale of a lot on Industrial Road at its 2 p.m. regular meeting this afternoon. Here’s the agenda, and the meeting can be viewed live here.
• Suffolk County reported 6,345 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, Jan. 4, with 26.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 875 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 116 of them in ICU. The county reported 16 new fatalities, bringing the death toll here to 3,861 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:04 a.m., 12:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:35 a.m.
Greenport: 12:41 a.m., 1:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:41 a.m., 2:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:36 a.m., 12:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:03 a.m., 2:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:10 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:44 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:53 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1 a.m., 1:21 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:08 a.m., 12:29 p.m.
Greenport: 1:37 a.m., 1:58 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:34 a.m., 2:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:32 a.m., 1:53 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:59 a.m., 3:20 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:06 a.m., 3:27 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:21 a.m., 12:38 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:47 a.m., 11:24 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.