• Today will be sunny, with a high near 33 degrees but wind chill values between 10 and 20, with a northwest wind 7 to 16 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with the temperature falling to near 22 by 9 p.m., then rising to around 31 during the remainder of the night, with wind chill values between 15 and 20. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 50. We’re expecting mostly cloudy skies on Saturday, with a high near 57 and areas of drizzle and fog with a slight chance of showers.
• Local knitters are getting in the act to help knit pouches, blankets and mittens for animals injured in the Australian wildfires. Oliver and Stephanie Berberich of Laurel are looking for volunteers to join a Craft-a-thon this Saturday, Jan. 11 at JABS, at 32845 Main Road in Cutchogue. They’re also collecting craft supplies including fabric, yarn, thread and knitting and sewing supplies. For more information, call Oliver at 631.512.0212 or Stephanie at 631.871.0235.
• The Southampton Town Board will hear a presentation from the town’s Sustainability Committee on gas leaf blowers and helium balloons at its 10 a.m. work session this morning.
• The Riverhead Town Board holds its weekly work session this morning at 10 a.m. The agenda is expected to be posted here.
• The East Hampton Town Board meets this evening at 6:30 p.m. There are no public hearings on the agenda, which is online here.
• Tomorrow is the full moon, but the Quogue Wildlife Refuge is celebrating early with a full moon hike this evening at 5 p.m. The South Fork Natural History Museum will celebrate with a hike tomorrow at 6 p.m. and the Group for the East End will lead a group hike for full moon howlers at Cutchogue’s Downs Farm Preserve tomorrow at 6 p.m.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:27 a.m., 8:53 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:35 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Greenport: 9:04 a.m., 9:30 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:54 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:59 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:26 a.m., 10:52 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:33 a.m., 10:59 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:30 a.m., 8:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:39 a.m., 6:12 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:09 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:17 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
Greenport: 9:46 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:39 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:41 a.m., 10:09 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:08 a.m., 11:36 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:15 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:14 a.m., 8:48 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:23 a.m., 6:57 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.