• Showers are likely today, mainly before 10 a.m., but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a steady temperature around 59 degrees. We’re expecting the coldest evening so far this fall tonight, with temperatures falling to the mid-30s overnight. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 59, and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 68.
• Southampton Town’s new Department of Public Safety spent the past week engaging in one of its most comprehensive crackdowns yet on overcrowded and unsafe properties in Hampton Bays. More details are online here.
• Fort Terry and the Plum Island Lighthouse on Plum Island are falling into disrepair, and nautical history buffs are hoping that Southold Town will landmark the buildings. Get the details in our Southold Town Hall Notes.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons hosts their East Hampton Town Supervisor and Town Board debates tonight at 7 p.m. at the East Hampton Village Emergency Services Building on Cedar Street. More details are online here.
• The Quogue Wildlife Refuge is in the midst of taking pre-orders for its annual Bird Seed Sale Fundraiser. Order forms are due Oct. 24! More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:47 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:55 a.m., 7:21 p.m.
Greenport: 8:24 a.m., 8:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:19 a.m., 9:44 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:19 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:46 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:53 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:09 a.m., 5:27 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:32 a.m., 8:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:40 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
Greenport: 9:09 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:09 a.m., 10:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:04 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:31 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:38 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:01 a.m., 6:17 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.