This season.
This season.

Good Morning!

• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers today, mainly in the afternoon, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 75 degrees. There’s a 70 percent chance of showers overnight, with a low around 65. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 80, and Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79.

• Though the Southampton hamlet of Riverside takes its name from its location alongside the south bank of the Peconic River, you wouldn’t know you were anywhere near the water if you simply drove down Flanders Road en route to the Riverside traffic circle, bound for a shopping trip to Route 58 or further west. Southampton Town and the Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association are planning to change that, with the development of a 14-acre Riverside Maritime Trail Park. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss a rental registry fee waiver for affordable housing and leasing of town-owned property at the East Hampton Airport to PODS at their 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Riverhead Town Board will hold a public scoping session on a proposed 170 unit, 5-story apartment building with nearly 3,500 square feet of retail space on the first floor at site of the former Sears building on East Main Street their 2 p.m. meeting this afternoon, along with a public hearing on a proposed $14,000 increase in cost for a sewer district improvement project. Their draft agenda is online here.

• The Montauk Observatory has announced they will be holding a special lecture, “Probing the Universe with LIGO,” by 2017 Nobel Laureate Dr. Rainer Weiss, next Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. at Stony Brook Southampton. More details are online here.

• The Southold Historical Society is holding its first-ever Scarecrow Contest. Chick’s Agway is getting into the action with a scarecrow-building event Oct. 13 & 14, and finished scarecrows must be dropped off at the historical society’s museum complex by Oct. 14. Winners will be announced on Halloween! More details are online here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

October 2
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:52 a.m., 4:22 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Greenport: 4:29 a.m., 4:59 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:24 a.m., 5:43 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:24 a.m., 4:54 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:51 a.m., 6:21 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:58 a.m., 6:28 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:58 a.m., 3:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:07 a.m., 1:25 p.m.

October 3
Plum Gut Harbor: 5 a.m.m 5:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:08 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
Greenport: 5:37 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:28 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:32 a.m., 6:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:59 a.m., 7:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:06 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:02 a.m., 4:21 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:11 a.m., 2:30 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: