This Morning’s Bulletin — 10.5.20
• Skies will clear throughout the day today, with showers likely before noon and a high near 66 degrees, with a northeast wind 6 to 8 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 54. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 70 and a slight chance of a drizzle between noon and three p.m. Wednesday will be partly sunny and breezy, with a high near 73 and a 30 percent chance of afternoon showers.
• This coming Peconic Bay scallop season could prove a repeat of last year’s devastating die-off, says Dr. Stephen Tettelbach, a Long Island University ecology professor who heads Cornell Cooperative Extension’s Peconic Bay Scallop Restoration Program. Here’s our full story.
• Suffolk County reported 72 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Oct. 4, with .8 percent of people tested testing positive. Twenty-four people are currently hospitalized with the virus in the county, with four patients in ICU. The county reported no new deaths over the weekend, and the death toll here stands at 2,015.
• The Sag Harbor Cinema, was rebuilt after a devastating fire in 2016 and had been slated to reopen this spring when the coronavirus pandemic cancelled those plans. But the Cinema recently held a low-key ribbon cutting, and this week is providing small group tours. Here’s how to sign up.
• The Ecological Culture Initiative in Hampton Bays, which is devoted to sustainable agriculture, will host an outdoor Wine Tasting and Art Show in the Garden on Saturday, Oct. 10 from 2 to 6 pm at the historic St. Joseph Villa. Here are more details.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:33 a.m., 12:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:57 a.m.
Greenport: 1:10 a.m., 1:26 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2 a.m., 2:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:05 a.m., 1:21 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:32 a.m., 2:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:39 a.m., 2:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:40 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:49 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:17 a.m., 1:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:25 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
Greenport: 1:54 a.m., 2:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:40 a.m., 2:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:49 a.m., 2:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:16 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:23 a.m., 3:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:10 a.m., 12:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:21 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.