• We’re expecting patchy dense fog before 10 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be sunny, with a high near 70 and a calm wind becoming east 5 to 7 miles per hour. We’re expecting patchy fog tonight, with a low around 50. There’s a 40 percent chance of afternoon showers Saturday, with a high near 70, and a 30 percent chance of showers Sunday, gradually clearing, with a high near 65.
• Greenport’s third monthly First Friday Gallery Walk will be held this evening from 6 to 9 p.m. at galleries throughout the village. More information is online here.
• The Third New York Regiment Revolutionary War Encampment is spending Columbus Day weekend camped out at the Southold Historical Society complex on Route 25 in Southold. They’ll be giving the public a free into their world Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. More information is online here.
• The Riverhead Country Fair returns to downtown Riverhead for the 41st year this Sunday, Oct. 9 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Greenport Harbor Brewing Company’s fourth annual Oyster Fest will also be held this Sunday, Oct. 9 from noon to 6 p.m. at the brewery’s original location at 234 Carpenter Street. There will be music by The Daves, citizen marine science projects with Cornell Cooperative Extension, and, of course, beer and oysters. Admission is free. More information is online here.
• Due to Tropical Storm Hermine on Labor Day Weekend, Peconic Landing’s End of Summer concert with the Atlantic Wind Symphony and fireworks show has been rescheduled for this Sunday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. with a rain date of Oct. 10. More information is online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and throughout the weeks ahead. Find the details in our full events calendar, online here.
• Most local kids have next Tuesday and Wednesday off from school for Yom Kippur, in addition to their time off for Columbus Day weekend, so keep an eye out on the roads for young cyclists and wandering children playing in traffic this coming week.
The high tides on the East End for the next three days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 1:57 a.m., 2:16 p.m.
Orient: 2:58 a.m., 3:17 p.m.
Greenport: 3:26 a.m., 3:45 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 3:21 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 4:48 a.m., 5:07 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:55 a.m., 5:14 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:59 a.m.
MTK Hbr: 2:53 a.m., 3:12 p.m.
Orient: 3:54 a.m., 4:13 p.m.
Greenport: 4:22 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 4:17 a.m., 4:36 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 5:44 a.m., 6:03 p.m.
S. JPT: 5:51 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:31 a.m., 12:48 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 3:53 a.m., 4:11 p.m.
Orient: 4:54 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
Greenport: 5:22 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 5:17 a.m., 5:35 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 6:44 a.m., 7:02 p.m.
S. JPT: 6:51 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:23 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.