Good morning, and thank you, today and every day, to veterans who have served and are serving our country!
• East End Veterans Day ceremonies are scaled back today due to the pandemic: The Riverhead Combined Veterans Committee will hold a ceremony at the World War I Memorial on West Main Street and Court Street at 11 a.m. The Southold American Legion at 51655 Main Road in Southold will also hold a ceremony at 11 a.m. Sag Harbor’s Veterans Day parade will be held at 10 a.m., stepping off from the monument at Main and Madison streets and ending at the American Legion on Bay Street. East Hampton will hold a ceremony at the Hook Mill at the corner of North Main Street and Main Street at 10 a.m.
• It will be mostly cloudy today, with a high temperature near 69 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers after 9 a.m. We’re expecting showers overnight, turning to heavy rain after 3 a.m., with a low around 57. We’re expecting rain Thursday, with the temperature rising to near 60 by 9 a.m. and then falling to around 56 during the remainder of the day. There’s a 50 percent chance of rain Friday, with cloudy skies and a high near 57.
• Suffolk County’s Covid-19 caseload has ballooned in the past week, and County Executive Steve Bellone is warning the public that the county is headed toward being listed as one of the state’s Covid “cluster zones” if the public does not heed precautions against spreading the virus. Here’s our full story.
• Suffolk County reported 280 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Tuesday, with 3.6 percent of people tested testing positive. The county reported 71 people were hospitalized with the virus — up 11 people in the past 24 hours, with 13 Covid patients in ICU, an increase of three people. The county reported no new deaths from the virus, and the death toll here stands at 2,022.
• Technology overload is here to stay, and we’re all feeling its effects. Here’s what our columnist Dave Davis is doing about it.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:02 a.m., 6:22 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:10 a.m., 5:30 p.m.
Greenport: 6:39 a.m., 6:59 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:24 a.m., 7:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:34 a.m., 6:54 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:01 a.m., 8:21 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:08 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:04 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:13 a.m., 3:26 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:49 a.m., 7:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:57 a.m., 6:19 p.m.
Greenport: 7:26 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:17 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:21 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:48 a.m., 9:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:55 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:01 a.m., 6:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:10 a.m., 4:25 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.