• We’re expecting patchy frost before 7 a.m. today, with otherwise sunny skies and a high temperature near 50 degrees, with light and variable winds becoming southwest 5 to 9 miles per hour in the morning. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a steady temperature around 43 degrees and a northwest wind 10 to 14 miles per hour. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 54, and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 53.
• On his daily walk down to Gardiner’s Bay, Climate Local Now columnist Leonard Green is struck by how little we seem to value the natural systems that maintain a resilient, living coastal environment. Piece by piece, out of ignorance or indifference, we dismantle the natural services that protect our beaches, our ground and surface waters, and our coastal wetlands. Read this month’s column.
• The East Quogue Fire Department hosts a New York Blood Center blood drive this afternoon and evening from 2 to 8 p.m. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments can also be made online here.
• Shinnecock Linguist Wunetu Wequai Tarrant leads a participatory workshop and lecture on the First Literature Project and the formation of Ayím Kutoowonk (She Speaks), a collective of four Indigenous Shinnecock women working toward the reclamation and revitalization of the Shinnecock language tomorrow, Nov. 14 at 6 p.m. at Guild Hall in East Hampton. More details are at guildhall.org.
• This weekend on Behind the Headlines on 88.3 WLIW-FM, Beacon editor Beth Young joins a crew of local journalists discussing this year’s election, honoring veterans, Riverhead’s short-lived proposed rooster ban, the travails of the Peconic Bay scallop and hope for pollinators. Listen on the air at 10 a.m. Sunday, or tune in online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:17 a.m., 9:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:25 a.m., 8:53 p.m.
Greenport: 9:54 a.m., 10:22 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:47 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:49 a.m., 10:17 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:16 a.m., 11:44 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:23 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:26 a.m., 8:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:35 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:54 a.m., 10:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:02 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Greenport: 10:31 a.m., 11:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:26 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:26 a.m., 10:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:53 a.m.
South Jamesport: Noon
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:02 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:11 a.m., 7:33 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.