This Morning’s Bulletin — 11.23.16
• Today will be sunny, with a high near 43 degrees but wind chill values between 20 and 30, with a northwest wind 9 to 15 miles per hour, gusting as high as 25. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain after 11 p.m., otherwise we’re expecting increasing clouds and a steady temperature around 38. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain for Thanksgiving, but otherwise cloudy skies and a high near 49. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain Friday, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 52.
• A new East End Christmas tradition is in the works at Center Stage at the Southampton Cultural Center. The theater company is bringing playwright Joe Landry’s live radio play of “It’s A Wonderful Life” back to the stage this weekend, and they’re adding a new production of Mr. Landry’s radio play version of Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” to their repertoire the following weekend, just as the holiday season gets underway. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association’s annual 5K race is December 11, and they’ve just opened the race up to online registration here. Runners pay $20 to register in advance, or $30 on the day of. The first 100 registrants get a gift bag and T-shirt. The race supports scholarships for kids in the community.
• New York State’s Home Energy Assistance Program is now open for the winter, providing assistance with home heating bills on a first-come, first-serve basis. For the upcoming winter, a family of four that has a household income of up to $53,076 annually, or $4,423 a month, can qualify for help. You can learn more and apply by visiting www.mybenefits.ny.gov or by calling 1.800.342.3009.
• Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. If you’re in the mood for Turkey Trotting, or for some post-Thanksgiving walks in the woods, we’ve compiled a list of some great group events, online here. The Morning Bulletin is taking Thanksgiving off, but we will return Friday.
• Christmas lightings and craft fairs begin in earnest over this coming weekend, beginning with Hallockville’s Country Parlor Holiday Folk Art & Gift Show, a great alternative to Black Friday shopping, which opens Friday and continues through the weekend. Our Christmas listings are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 4:19 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Orient: 5:20 a.m., 5:47 p.m.
Greenport: 5:48 a.m., 6:15 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 5:43 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 7:10 a.m., 7:37 p.m.
S. JPT: 7:17 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:18 a.m., 2:30 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 5:10 a.m., 5:35 p.m.
Orient: 6:11 a.m., 6:36 p.m.
Greenport: 6:39 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 6:34 a.m., 6:59 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 8:01 a.m., 8:26 p.m.
S. JPT: 8:08 a.m., 8:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:11 a.m., 3:24 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.