• Today will be sunny, with a high near 46 degrees and a northwest wind 14 to 17 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 35. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 53. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers Saturday, with cloudy skies and a high near 55.
• Suffolk County reported 972 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Wednesday, with 6.2 percent of the people tested for the virus testing positive. There are currently 394 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 67 of them in ICU. The county reported four new deaths, bringing the death toll here to 2,093.
• While we may not be able to gather with our friends and neighbors, we can gift them something sweet to enjoy at home. Meringues are a real treat and something different among a sea of sugar cookies, chocolates and other traditional offerings. Read more in our sister publication, The Peconic Dish.
• The Riverhead Town Board is slated to discuss the potential preservation of 94 acres of a former duck farm on Terry’s Creek in Aquebogue, support for increased oversight of LIPA by the Public Service Commission and recreation fees for 2021 at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda.
• The Southampton Town Board is slated to hold a work session this morning at 10 a.m. — the agenda and video will be posted online here.
• Southold Town is slated to hold an informational session via Zoom next Tuesday, Dec. 15 at 7 p.m. on its New Suffolk Traffic Study, which had been about to be slated for a public hearing last March when the pandemic shut down regular government operations here. Here’s the study. We’ll have the Zoom login info early next week.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:36 a.m., 5:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:44 a.m., 5:05 p.m.
Greenport: 6:13 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:57 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:08 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:35 a.m., 7:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:42 a.m., 8:03 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:37 a.m., 4:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:46 a.m., 3 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:27 a.m., 6:50 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:35 a.m., 5:58 p.m.
Greenport: 7:04 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:52 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:59 a.m., 7:22 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:26 a.m., 8:49 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:33 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:35 a.m., 5:54 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:44 a.m., 4:03 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.