• There’s a 60 percent chance of rain today, mainly between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 52 and a southeast wind 9 to 15 miles per hour, becoming southwest in the afternoon. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow showers overnight and into mid-day Wednesday, after which the skies are expected to clear up (partly) The high Wednesday will be 35 degrees. Thursday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.
• We’re all going to die. That’s a fact few of us want to face, but there are many people on the East End who devote their lives to helping people in these final days. They shared information on their work at a recent League of Women Voters of the Hamptons forum in Southampton. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Buses will replace trains on the North Fork’s Long Island Rail Road line from 6:59 a.m. on today — from Ronkonkoma to Greenport — due to switch replacement work at Mill Road in Mattituck. Today’s special timetable is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss the removal of the beach walkway at Old Montauk Highway in Montauk at their 10 a.m. work session this morning at the Montauk Firehouse, as well as an update on seasonal and year-round housing issues. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Shelter Island Town Board will hear a presentation on sea grass conservation and discuss last Friday’s public hearing on septic systems and wetlands at their 1 p.m. work session this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.
• JDT Lab at Guild Hall in East Hampton presents “A Christmas Sing-Along and Musicale with the Johansen-Markard Piano Duo” this evening at 7:30 p.m. The event is free and all are welcome to attend.
• Apple Honda in Riverhead is collecting donations throughout the month of December of pet food and supplies for our furry friends who will be spending their holidays at the Riverhead Animal Shelter & the North Fork Animal Welfare League. Donations can be dropped off to their sales showroom at 1375 Old Country Rd. (Route 58) in Riverhead or to the Riverhead Animal Shelter, the Southold Animal Shelter or Talmage Farm Agway in Riverhead.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:15 a.m., 5:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:32 a.m., 4:49 p.m.
Greenport: 5:52 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:37 a.m., 7:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:47 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:14 a.m., 7:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:21 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:22 a.m., 2:36 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:07 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:15 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
Greenport: 6:44 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:31 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:39 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:06 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:13 a.m., 8:38 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:17 a.m., 3:32 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today