This Morning’s Bulletin — 12.22.17
• We’ve got a possible White Christmas alert for you today — we’re still four days out, but as of 5 a.m. Friday, the National Weather Service is predicting a 70 percent chance of rain and snow overnight Christmas Eve, with “some accumulation possible” into Christmas morning. Skies are expected to clear throughout the day Monday, with a high in the upper 30s.
• There’s 50 percent chance of rain today, mainly after 1 p.m., but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 47 degrees and a light east wind, becoming southeast 8 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 70 percent chance of rain overnight, with a low around 40. We’re expecting rain on Saturday, with a high near 53. Christmas Eve will be mostly sunny, with a high near 45.
• It’s been nearly a year since the Long Island Power Authority agreed to buy the power produced by an offshore wind farm 36 miles off of Montauk, and the firm that is building the South Fork Wind Farm, Deepwater Wind, is in the midst of an intensive push for public support for the project in advance of submitting a bevy of permit applications to state and federal agencies next year. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The roller skating rink in Greenport’s American Legion Hall, long a place where Porters cultivated great adolescent memories, will reopen New Year’s Eve with a great big bash. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill hosts a free family screening of “Into the Woods,” the musical take on Brothers Grimm fairy tails, this evening at 6 p.m. More details are online here.
• There’s still time to get tickets for The Butterfly Effect Project’s fundraiser Dec. 28 at The Suffolk Theater in downtown Riverhead. That Motown Band will be performing to raise money for this program to empower young women. More details are online here. [$39]
• The Beacon’s Morning Bulletin is taking Monday off for Christmas. Have a safe and happy holiday.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:19 a.m., 12:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:35 a.m.
Greenport: 12:56 a.m., 1:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:35 a.m., 1:44 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:51 a.m., 12:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:18 a.m., 2:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:25 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:25 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:05 a.m., 1:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:13 a.m., 12:18 p.m.
Greenport: 1:42 a.m., 1:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:16 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:37 a.m., 1:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:04 a.m., 3:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:11 a.m., 3:16 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:06 a.m., 10:44 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.