• Rain and snow are likely early today, becoming all rain after 8 a.m., then gradually ending, after which we’re expecting mostly cloudy skies, with a high near 46 degrees and a light and variable west wind. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 33. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 46, and Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 48 and a40 percent chance of light rain or drizzle.
• The Suffolk County Health Department is urging boaters and fishermen to avoid contact with dead and decaying fish in the Shinnecock Canal from the die-off three weeks ago, and to use caution if eating fish caught from waters where there have been large accumulations of dead fish, due to bacteria, viruses or parasites that may have infected living fish. If you do intend to eat such fish, the health department urges that you cook them thoroughly. They are also advising everyone to wash thoroughly after contact with water in the area, especially if it is cloudy or murky or filled with dead fish.
• Suffolk County and SUNY Stony Brook also confirmed a new blue-green algae bloom in Mill Pond in Southampton on Friday. Due to these findings, health officials ask residents not to use or swim or wade in these waters and to keep their pets and children away from the area. More information is online here.
• Canio’s Books’ new Cinema Series on Irish History will host a film screening of the film “Michael Collins” tonight at 6:30 p.m. at Bridgehampton’s Hampton Library, followed by a discussion of the film this Friday, Dec 9. at 6 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association’s annual 5K race is December 11, and they’ve just opened the race up to online registration here. Runners pay $20 to register in advance, or $30 on the day of. The first 100 registrants get a gift bag and T-shirt. The race supports scholarships for kids in the community.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 12:44 a.m., 12:47 p.m.
Orient: 1:45 a.m., 1:48 p.m.
Greenport: 2:13 a.m., 2:16 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:08 a.m., 2:11 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 3:35 a.m., 3:38 p.m.
S. JPT: 3:42 a.m., 3:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:42 a.m., 11:23 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 1:34 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Orient: 2:35 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
Greenport: 3:03 a.m., 3:10 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 2:58 a.m., 3:05 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 4:25 a.m., 4:32 p.m.
S. JPT: 4:32 a.m., 4:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:36 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.