This Morning’s Bulletin — 12.8.16
• Today will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 45 degrees and a west wind 5 to 14 miles per hour. Overnight, it will be partly cloudy, with a low around 28. There’s a chance of flurries early Friday morning, with skies clearing throughout the day and a high near 39. Wind chill values Friday will be between 20 and 25 degrees, with a northwest wind 11 to 20 miles per hour. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 35.
• After a new report outlining water quality and quantity concerns was released this summer by the Long Island Commission for Aquifer Protection in the midst of an island-wide drought alert, Southold Town is taking water issues seriously. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The state DEC announced this week that the site of the former Sag Harbor gas ball, the subject of a decade-long remediation project, no longer poses a public health threat. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The East Hampton Trails Preservation Society is hosting a hike on Sag Harbor’s Barcelona Neck this morning at 10 a.m. More details are online here. [Free]
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a new app for the town’s Youth Services resource guide and a proposed film permit legislation at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board’s Thursday work session has been cancelled this morning.
• This Saturday, Dec. 10 is poet Emily Dickenson’s birthday, and Canio’s Books in Sag Harbor is celebrating with a literary tea at 3:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association’s annual 5K race is this Sunday, Dec. 11, and they’ve opened the race up to online registration here. Runners pay $20 to register in advance, or $30 on the day of. The first 100 registrants get a gift bag and T-shirt. The race supports scholarships for kids in the community.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 3:27 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Orient: 4:28 a.m., 4:44 p.m.
Greenport: 4:56 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 4:51 a.m., 5:07 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 6:18 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
S. JPT: 6:25 a.m., 6:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:13 a.m., 1:33 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 4:22 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
Orient: 5:23 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
Greenport: 5:51 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 5:46 a.m., 6:05 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 7:13 a.m., 7:32 p.m.
S. JPT: 7:20 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:12 a.m., 2:36 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.