• The prospect for snow this weekend is increasing, though the greatest likelihood is shifting to later in the weekend. Today will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 43 degrees, with wind chill values between 20 and 30 and a southwest wind 7 to 10 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow after midnight tonight, with a low around 28. There’s a 70 percent chance of snow Saturday, with new accumulations between 2 and 4 inches possible and a high near 36 degrees. An additional 1 to 3 inches are possible overnight Saturday. Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 38.
• After the U.S. Department of Defense refused to pay for work done by the Suffolk County Water Authority and the Suffolk County Health Department to protect the public from contaminants in private wells surrounding Gabreski Airport, the Water Authority has filed civil complaints against the manufacturers of chemicals contaminating the water supply both in Westhampton Beach and in other locations throughout the county. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• In this month’s installment of The Homestead, our columnist Michael Daly talks about The New-Fashioned Way: “If we don’t keep up with the pace of globalization and technological development, the world will pass us by.” You can read his column online here.
• The Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association and Riverside Rediscovered will host a Community Holiday Party this coming Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 6 p.m. at the David W. Crohan Community Center at 655 Flanders Road. Everyone is welcome. RSVP 631.591.3926 or contact@riversiderediscove
• Peconic Landing in Greenport will play host to a free production of Center Stage’s “A Christmas Carol: A live Radio Play,” Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. Admission is free and all are welcome to attend.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Stay in the know with our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:02 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:10 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
Greenport: 1:39 a.m., 2:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:37 a.m., 2:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:34 a.m., 1:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:01 a.m., 3:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:08 a.m., 3:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:49 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:04 a.m., 2:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:12 a.m., 1:38 p.m.
Greenport: 2:41 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:37 a.m., 4 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:36 a.m., 3:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:03 a.m., 4:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:10 a.m., 4:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:47 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.