• We’re under a winter weather advisory from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. We’re expecting snow, mainly after 8 a.m. , with a northeast wind 7 to 13 miles per hour, daytime accumulation of 3 to 5 inches, and a high temperature around 32 degrees. Snow, sleet and freezing rain will continue tonight, with a low temperature around 30 degrees and 1 inch of overnight accumulation. Snow will continue into Friday, with further accumulations of 1 to 2 inches possible and a high temperature near 35. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 34.
• The Shinnecock Indian Nation, which last summer received approval from the National Indian Gaming Commission to build a casino, unveiled plans Wednesday for a 76,000-square-foot casino on reservation land on Montauk Highway just west of Southampton. Here’s our full story.
• The Island Harvest food distribution event originally scheduled for today in Riverhead’s Stotzky Park has been postponed to next Tuesday, Feb. 23 from 10 a.m. to noon, due to today’s snowstorm. About 600 boxes of food will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
• Suffolk County reported 590 new cases of Covid-19 on Feb. 16, with 4.6 percent of people testing testing positive. At that time there were 547 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 106 of them in ICU. The county reported 11 new fatalities Feb. 16, bringing the death toll here to 2,988 people.
• The Southampton Town Board is slated to discuss proposed changes to the Zoning Board’s authority to approve changes to non-conforming uses (with the intent of giving that authority instead to the Town Board) at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold a public hearing on designating Second House and its barn in Montauk as a historic landmark at its 11 a.m. regular meeting this morning. The agenda is online here, the live video is online here and prospective speakers can call in at 351.888.6331.
• Long Island WinterFest has soldiered on through the snow and the pandemic, with a special performance tonight on Facebook Live and Youtube by jazz guitarist Matt Marshak. Here’s more info.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:16 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:24 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
Greenport: 2:53 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:32 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:48 a.m., 3:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:15 a.m., 4:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:22 a.m., 4:47 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:15 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:46 a.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:12 a.m., 3:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:20 am., 2:49 p.m.
Greenport: 3:49 a.m., 4:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:21 a.m., 5 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:44 a.m., 4:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:11 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:18 a.m., 5:47 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:57 a.m., 2:25 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:06 a.m., 12:34 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.