• Today will be sunny, with a high near 44 degrees and a northwest wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 23. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 42. We’re expecting rain on Sunday, with a high near 52.
• After the Riverhead Town Board heard a pitch on Valentine’s Day from an energy company to build a food waste-to-energy plant at the former animal shelter on Youngs Avenue in Calverton, stunned neighbors scrambled to put together a crew to air their concerns. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Sylvester Manor Educational Farm and the Eastville Community Historical Society present “Hidden in Plain Sight: Facing the Enslaved History of the East End” this Sunday at Sag Harbor’s Bay Street Theatre. More details are online here.
• Sag Harbor’s HarborFrost will be held this Saturday, Feb. 23 from 1 to 6 p.m. More details are online here.
• Long Island WinterFest kicks off this evening at the Hotel Indigo in Sag Harbor. The ridesharing service Lyft is offering free rides throughout the North Fork Fridays through Sundays in conjunction WinterFest, which runs through March 30. The Lyft promo code is online here.
• The Sag Harbor Cinema Arts Center kicks off its “Present Tense” film series of “an adventurous mix of new releases, classics, documentaries and rarely seen subversive comedies, which speak in a variety of ways and styles to our present political and cultural time” this Sunday, Feb. 24 at Pierson High School, with a screening of “The Second Civil War” at 3 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Beacon’s Events Calendar is chock full with events to be held this weekend, and in the weeks ahead.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:47 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:55 a.m., 11:22 p.m.
Greenport: 12:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:58 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:20 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:27 a.m., 1:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11 a.m., 11:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:09 a.m., 9:44 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:14 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:47 a.m.
Greenport: 12:51 a.m., 1:16 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:48 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:46 a.m., 1:11 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:13 a.m., 2:38 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:20 a.m., 2:45 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:53 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:56 a.m., 11:30 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.