Good Morning!

• Today will be sunny, with a high near 33 degrees but wind chill values between 10 and 20, with a northwest wind around 16 miles per hour, gusting as high as 28. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 12. There’s a 20 percent chance of snow after 3 p.m. Wednesday, with chances of snow rising overnight to 50 percent. The high Wednesday will be 29 degrees. There’s a 30 percent chance of snow before 8 a.m. Thursday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 37.

• The Southold Town Board will discuss LED street lighting, asbestos removal at Katinka House, New Suffolk parking, offshore wind farms and a proposed Peconic Bay Community Housing Fund legislation at their 9 a.m. work session this morning. The board plans to hear public comment on a proposed six-month building moratorium in Mattituck at their 4:30 p.m. regular meeting this afternoon. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.

• The Southampton Town Board will hold a public hearing on the Hampton Bays Waterfront Revitalization Plan at their 6 p.m. meeting this evening. Their full agenda is online here.

• The Ecological Culture Initiative is holding a screening of the award-winning documentary “Normal is Over,” about humanity’s wisest response to climate change, species extinction, the depletion of critical natural resources, income inequality, and industrial control of our food production, this evening, Feb. 26 at 7:30 p.m. at the Hampton Bays UA cinema. More details are online here.

• Caroline Doctorow & The Ballad Makers with opener Chris Kline will play a benefit concert this Friday, March 1 at 7:30 p.m. for the Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt as part of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Fork’s Songwriters Share series. Tickets are $20. More details are online here.

• It’s staying lighter longer, which means gardeners everywhere are getting giddy thinking about being able to soon play in the dirt. But don’t be too hasty in your countdown to spring: There’s still a lot of winter left! Our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, has some advice this month for lavishing your houseplants with love while you wait for the big thaw.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

February 26
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:06 a.m., 3:38 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:14 a.m., 2:46 p.m.
Greenport: 3:43 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:31 a.m., 5:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:38 a.m., 4:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:05 a.m., 5:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:12 a.m., 5:44 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:13 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:22 a.m., 12:44 p.m.

February 27
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:12 a.m., 4:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:20 a.m., 3:55 p.m.
Greenport: 4:49 a.m., 5:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:31 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:44 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:11 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:18 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:07 a.m., 3:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:16 a.m., 1:41 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: