• We’re expecting snow and sleet before 10 a.m. today, turning to all rain by mid-day. New snow and sleet accumulations are expected to be less than half an inch. The high temperature today is expected to be near 44 degrees, with wind chill values between 15 and 25 and an east wind 9 to 11 miles per hour, becoming south in the afternoon. We’re expecting rain this evening, with a low around 27 overnight. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 33, and Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.
• Southold Town will host a Hashamomuck Cove Roundtable Meeting this morning, Feb. 7 at 11 a.m. at the Peconic Lane Community Center, 1170 Peconic Lane, Peconic. Representatives from the US Army Corp. of Engineers, NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation, the Suffolk County Water Authority and the Suffolk County Dept. of Public Works will provide homeowners and local elected officials with an update on the status of the Hashamomuck Cove feasibility study and project following the impact of the recent blizzard and the release of updated project cost information.
• Longtime environmental advocate Patricia Aitken has joined the Peconic Estuary Protection Committee as its new coordinator, responsible for working with the five East End towns and other agencies to improve water quality in the Peconic Bays. Read the full story on our sister website, The Peconic Bathtub, online here.
• Northeast Stage will hold a benefit performance in Greenport this Saturday, Feb. 10 for local actor Kevin Monsell, a beloved member of the North Fork theatre community who was recently diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. More details are online here.
• The East Marion Community Association hosts its annual Cabin Fever Potluck and Coat Drive to benefit CAST this Saturday, Feb. 10 at noon at the East Marion Firehouse. More details are online here.
• The podcast “Meet the Creatives” will be hosting live sessions with special guests Juan Carlos Pagan, Ahmed Klink, Jessica Lomasson, Jon Contino and Erik Warner at the Sound View in Greenport this coming weekend, Feb. 9 through 11. Meet The Creatives, hosted by Rob Johnston, is a podcast that bridges the gap between entry-level creatives and the industry’s best and features useful advice from leading creative minds More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:01 z.m., 3:28 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:09 a.m., 2:36 p.m.
Greenport: 3:38 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:27 a.m., 4:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:33 a.m., 4 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5 a.m., 5:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:07 a.m., 5:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:19 a.m., 12:34 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:03 a.m., 4:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:11 a.m., 3:41 p.m.
Greenport: 4:40 a.m., 5:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:23 a.m., 5:57 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:35 a.m., 5:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:02 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:09 a.m., 6:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:10 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.