• We’re expecting sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 48 degrees and a west wind 6 to 14 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 28. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain after 1 p.m. Thursday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 49. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 52.
• You don’t have to look farther than car commercials on television to know that electrification is going to be one of the hottest topics for discussion in the years ahead. We’re on the brink of a new horizon in the world of electricity not seen since the War of the Currents of the late 19th Century. And the road ahead is anything but smooth. Read this month’s editorial.
• The Peconic Baykeeper and the Peconic Estuary Partnership will hold a winter walk this Friday, Feb. 10 at 10 a.m. at the Elizabeth Morton Wildlife Refuge in Noyac. Here’s how to register.
• The Southampton Youth Bureau will hold an Open Mic Night this Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Hampton Coffee Company, 749 County Road 39a in Southampton. Acoustic performers, karaoke, spoken word, poetry and comedic acts from grades 5 through 12 are welcome. Email email@example.com or call 631. 702.2425 to reserve a performance time.
• The North Fork Community Theater in Mattituck hosts The Fillmore East End: The very first acoustic and electric jam on their stage at 12700 Old Sound Avenue in Mattituck on Saturday, Feb. 11 beginning at 8 p.m. The event is hosted by Matt Orr and Nancy DiGirolamo, aka The New Vagrants. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Admission is $10 to watch or $5 to jam, and proceeds benefit the theater’s Building on Tradition campaign. More info is at nfct.com.
• The Southold Youth Bureau is holding a prom dress drive to help make Prom Day special for students who aren’t able to purchase a dress. Call the Youth Bureau at 631.765.8251 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your dress drop-off.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:32 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:40 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
Greenport: 12:09 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:41 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:04 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:18 a.m., 1:31 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:25 a.m., 1:38 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:22 a.m., 10:57 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:31 a.m., 9:06 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:16 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
Greenport: 12:35 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:16 a.m., 1:31 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:30 a.m., 12:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:57 a.m., 2:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:04 a.m., 2:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:55 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:04 a.m., 9:41 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.