• The temperature is going to be hovering around freezing today, causing a day full of snow, freezing rain and sleet, but we’re expecting an accumulation of less than half an inch. Tonight, we’re expecting another shy half inch of snow and sleet. The northeast winds in the mid-teens will push the wind chill down to between 15 and 20 degrees today and between 10 and 15 degrees tonight.
• Jay Schneiderman will reach his term limit in the Suffolk County Legislature this year, and Amos Goodman of Springs is the first candidate to announce he’s looking to fill the seat. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Mick Hargreaves & Lynn Blue are the featured performers at Live Music Mondays at Bridgehampton’s Fresh restaurant tonight, beginning at 6:30 p.m. More information is online here.
• The Peconic Estuary Program is planning a Penguin Plunge at noon on Sat., Feb. 14 at Cedar Beach in Southold. In addition to the plunge, PEP members will be on-hand at Cornell Cooperative Extension’s lab to talk about programming for the coming year.
• Suffolk County is now accepting nominations for the 2015 Senior Citizen of the Year Award. The award recognizes a senior citizen who has significantly contributed to other seniors, either as an advocate, role model, leader, or volunteer. Nominations can be downloaded at www.SuffolkCountyNY.Gov/
• Are you getting The Beacon’s Week in Review on Sunday mornings? If not, you’re missing out on the best round-up of what’s going on on the East End each week. You can sign up here, and spread the love by sending the link to your friends and family so you can all be up on the lastest issues affecting the East End.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.