Believe in Spring.
• We’re expecting a 40 percent chance of showers today, with areas of fog. cloudy skies, and a high near 61, with a southwest wind 13 to 18 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of evening overnight showers, mainly before 10 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies overnight and a low around 41. Skies will clear on Saturday, with a high near 48 degrees. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 40.
The latest on the local coronavirus situation:
• Update 11 a.m.: Three members of Peconic Landing have died from the COVID-19 coronavirus. Read our full story.
• Peconic Bay Medical Center will lease the former Bishop McGann-Mercy High School, which is behind the hospital, for use in its response to the coronavirus pandemic, the hospital’s CEO, Andy Mitchell, said on Thursday. The land belongs to the Diocese of Rockville Center. The hospital will use the property for parking, and will also be able to use the buildings on-site if necessary. PBMC is also constructing at 16-bed COVID-19 intensive care unit in a new addition to its main campus.
• There were 239 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Suffolk County, as of County Executive Steve Bellone’s update Thursday afternoon.. On the East End the bulk of those cases are in Southold, with 45 cases. There are 4 confirmed cases in Riverhead and Southampton towns, 2 confirmed cases in East Hampton and 1 on Shelter Island.
• Suffolk County is asking local business owners to take its Business Impact Survey at suffolkcountyny.gov/bru or call 311 for more information on how to register the needs of local businesses with the county.
• Greenport Village is creating a “Helping Hands” list to centralize the information of those that would like to participate in any upcoming volunteering efforts that may be required.Kindly e-mail Village Clerk Sylvia Pirillo at: firstname.lastname@example.org to provide your name, best phone contact information, e-mail address and any ideas of specific ways in which you’d like to serve your friends and neighbors.
• If we’re lucky, nothing will be happening this weekend. Stay home or go to the park and breathe deeply.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:14 a.m., 8:34 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:22 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
Greenport: 8:51 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:39 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:46 a.m., 9:06 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:13 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:20 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:12 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:21 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:56 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:04 a.m., 8:21 p.m.
Greenport: 9:33 a.m., 9:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:27 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:28 a.m., 9:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:55 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:02 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:02 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:11 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.