• Today will be sunny and breezy, with a high temperature near 52 degrees and a west wind 22 to 25 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 45. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 25. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 56 and light and variable winds becoming south 6 to 11 miles per hour in the morning. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high temperature near 57 degrees and rain likely, mainly after 2 p.m.
• Are you overwhelmed by the problems facing the planet and unsure where to start fixing them? It turns out that right in your backyard is one of the best places to start, and this is the perfect time of year to set your trowel to work. Here are some ideas how, from Cornell Cooperative Extension’s Spring Gardening School.
• Suffolk County reported 797 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, March 27, with 5 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 391 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 76 of them in ICU and 24 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported three new deaths from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,232 people. As of Sunday, 421,282 Suffolk residents had received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, or 28.4 percent of the population, while 233,168 people had received at least one vaccine dose.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will discuss the recently released NYSDOT and Southold Town Traffic Study for Love Lane at its Zoom meeting this evening at 6:30 p.m. Here’s more info.
• The Hampton Bays Civic Association will discuss “Everything Hampton Bays II” with Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman, Town Planning and Development Administratory Janice Scherer and Town Parks Director Kristen Doulos at its virtual monthly meeting this evening at 7 p.m. Here’s how to join in.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:08 a.m., 10:28 p.m.
Greenport: 11:37 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:11 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:32 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:33 a.m., 12:59 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:40 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:08 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:17 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:48 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:56 a.m., 11:16 p.m.
Greenport: 12:25 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:56 a.m., 1:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:20 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:19 a.m., 1:47 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:26 a.m., 1:54 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:56 a.m., 11:24 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:05 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.