Pictured Above: This morning at New Suffolk’s Submarine memorial
• The much-anticipated snowstorm that hit overnight was something of a dud here. We only have two snowfall total reports as of 6:30 a.m.: 1.6 inches at National Weather Service headquarters in Upton and 1.4 inches in Patchogue.
• We’re expecting cloudy skies this morning, gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 40 degrees but wind chill values between 20 and 30, with a north wind 14 to 18 miles per hour, becoming west in the afternoon. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 17. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 32, and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 28.
• Most East End schools have a two-hour delayed start this morning with the exception of the following: The Amagansett, Oysterponds, Wainscott, Sagaponack, Ross School and Peconic Community School will open at 10 a.m. and the New Suffolk School will open at 10:30 a.m. Southold Town offices have announced a two-hour delay today.
• The South Fork Commuter Connection, a rail-bus connection intended to reduce traffic congestion on the South Fork, is slated to start today.
• Down on the southern edge of the Quogue Wildlife Refuge, across the railroad tracks and a crossroads of former wagon roads, is a magical place not often seen by refuge visitors. Take time out of the snow day for a virtual visit with us here.
• The fifth annual Long Island Regional Seed Consortium Seed Swap, billed by some as the “Woodstock” for seed savers, will be held on Sunday, March 10 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Suffolk County Community College’s Eastern Campus in Riverhead. More details are online here.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review yesterday was a special edition from our sister website, The Peconic Bathtub, about life in and around the Peconic Bays. To get the Week in Review delivered to your inbox every Sunday, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:28 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:36 a.m., 7:55 p.m.
Greenport: 9:05 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:58 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:27 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:34 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:34 a.m., 7:58 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:43 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:08 a.m., 9:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:16 a.m., 8:35 p.m.
Greenport: 9:45 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:38 a.m., 10:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:40 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:07 a.m., 11:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:14 a.m., 11:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:14 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:23 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.