• There’s a 50 percent chance of showers today, mainly before 9 a.m., with gradually clearing skies, a high near 56 degrees and southwest winds 13 to 16 miles per hour. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 34. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 50. There’s a 60 percent chance of snow Friday, with a high near 40.
• Five years ago Tuesday, Mattituck resident Hazel Kahan embarked on a radio experiment interviewing long-time North Forkers about what it is they do for work. The Beacon caught up with her last week to discuss what she’s learned about North Forkers over the past five years. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• OLA of Eastern Long Island is holding a Pachanga for Peace & Unity this Saturday at Sag Harbor’s Bay Street Theatre, featuring a new interpretation of an R&B classic performed by 28 East End musicians. More details are online here.
• One month after the federal government filed a motion to dismiss a lawsuit brought last year by environmentalists over the proposed sale of Plum Island, environmentalists are continuing to push forward with their legal challenge. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission is hosting a forum today and tomorrow on southern pine beetle management in the Northeast at Brookhaven National Laboratory. More details and registration for the free event is online here.
• On Saturday, March 25, 2017, Greek Independence Day, the Taylor’s Island Foundation is celebrating S. Gregory Taylor, who bequeathed Taylor’s Island to Shelter Island Town, with an open house, silent auction and wine tasting at Hanff’s Boatyard in Greenport. The foundation is currently seeking artists to help create works from wooden fish for the event. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:16 a.m., 6:38 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 5:24 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Greenport: 6:53 a.m., 7:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:37 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 6:48 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:15 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:22 a.m., 8:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:21 a.m., 3:59 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:10 a.m., 7:29 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 6:18 a.m., 6:37 p.m.
Greenport: 7:47 a.m., 8:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:37 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 7:42 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:09 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:16 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:23 a.m., 4:57 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.