• Today will be sunny, with a high near 61 degrees and a southwest wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 41. There’s a 30 percent chance of afternoon showers Tuesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 57. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 52.
• Suffolk County’s first coronavirus patient came in through Greenport’s Stony Brook Eastern Long Island Hospital and is currently being treated at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital, where he is reportedly “in critical but improving condition,” according to 27east.com. The Beacon’s most recent story on the local coronavirus situation is online here. We will have updates throught the day, and throughout the upcoming week as we learn more.
• Women make up more than half of the world’s population, but if you want to find us in public, you’re still best served to look into the shadows, where you will find us facelessly pouring coffee, changing hotel bedsheets, answering phones and taking dictation, before going home to pour milk on toddlers’ Cheerios, change diapers and cope with mountains of household paperwork. In honor of International Women’s Day, we salute women of the world in this month’s editorial.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons has announced it will hold a forum titled: “Getting to Know Your Local Judges” next Monday, March 16 at Bridgehampton’s Hampton Library. More details are online here.
• In other news, the Custer Institute Observatory in Southold decided to weigh in this weekend on the ongoing controversy over whether Pluto is a planet. Their decree? It is.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:14 a.m., 10:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:22 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Greenport: 10:51 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:49 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:46 a.m., 11:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:25 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:34 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:02 a.m., 11:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:10 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
Greenport: 11:39 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:15 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:34 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:34 a.m., 1:01 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:41 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:13 a.m., 10:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:22 a.m., 8:53 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.