This Morning’s Bulletin — 4.13.22

Good Morning!

• It will be partly sunny today, with a high temperature near 62 degrees and a light southeast wind becoming south 6 to 11 miles per hour in the afternoon. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after midnight tonight, with mostly cloudy skies overnight and a low around 50. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a 40 percent chance of showers after 3 p.m. and a high near 64. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a 40 percent chance of showers before 9 a.m. and a high near 60.

• Divers who spent a week last August exploring the underwater lands surrounding Plum Island are still excited by the pristine conditions they found during their research. Read More.

• What do you do with a broken toaster? Or with a bike when the wheel runs out of true? Or with a sweater full of moth holes? Toss it? No way! North Fork Environmental Council is organizing the first Repair Café at the Floyd Memorial Library (539 First Street) in Greenport on Saturday April 23 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Read More.

• Suffolk County lawmakers announced Tuesday that the county is capping the 4.25 percent county sales tax on gasoline by not taxing any amount over $3 per gallon. The provision is expected to go into effect June 1 and continue through the end of this year.

• The Suffolk County Veterans Service Agency will host its third annual Drive-thru Resource and Stand Down Event on Saturday, April 30 from 11 a.m. AM to 12:45 p.m. in the north parking lot of the H. Lee Dennison Building at 100 Veterans Memorial Highway in Hauppauge. This year, 22 organizations and county agencies will participate, offering a variety of resources free-of-charge. 

• Suffolk County reported 173 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, April 11, with 4.8 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 75 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with six of them in ICU. The county reported no new Covid fatalities, and the death toll here stands at 4,368 people since March of 2020.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

April 13
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:20 a.m., 8:39 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:28 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Greenport: 8:57 a.m., 9:16 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:38 a.m., 10:03 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:52 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:19 a.m., 10:38 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:26 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:07 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:16 a.m., 5:53 p.m.

April 14
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:59 a.m., 9:16 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:07 a.m., 8:24 p.m.
Greenport: 9:36 a.m., 9:53 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:24 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:31 a.m., 9:48 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:58 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:05 a.m., 11:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:55 a.m., 8:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:04 a.m., 6:35 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Please prove you're human: