• it will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 42 degrees but wind chill values between 20 and 30, with a northwest wind around 15 miles per hour. It will be cloudy overnight, but skies will clear into the morning, with a low around 28. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 52. Easter Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 58.
• Spring is finally here after a very tough winter, and we’re ready for the food on our plates to reflect this joyful season of rebirth. Just in time for Easter, our Peconic Dish columnist, Alison Boyd-Savage, has a great one dish lamb recipe, paired with a tender spinach salad, to make for an easy family supper.
• Suffolk County reported 764 new cases of Covid-19 on Wednesday, March 31, with 3.9 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 358 people in the hospital with the virus, with 75 of them in ICU and 22 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported seven new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,257 people.
• A new pop-up weekly Covid-19 vaccination clinic is opening up at the Sag Harbor American Legion at 26 Bay Street in Sag Harbor, with clinics most likely taking place on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays. White’s Apothecary is running the clinics, and appointments are posted beginning on Fridays, online here.
• Greenport Village is pleased to announce that the carousel in Mitchell Park, which has been closed since the start of the pandemic, will be open from 11 a.m. through 5 p.m. today and Saturday, and is expected to remain open during regularly scheduled hours, per the village website. Tickets will be available at the Marina Office, and credit cards will be accepted (as well as cash.)
• The Parrish Art Museum presents the film “Gerhard Richter Painting,” with limited seating, this evening at 6 p.m. This mesmerizing footage, of a highly charged process of creation and destruction, turns this portrait of an artist into a work of art itself. Tickets are $15 or $5 for members. Register at parrishart.org or call 631.283.2118.
• On Easter Sunday, the folks at the South Fork Natural History Museum are partnering with the Peconic Estuary Partnership (PEP)— on a new program on Protecting & Restoring Long Island’s Peconic Bays at 10:30 a.m. Details are online at sofo.org/calendar.
Have a safe and happy holiday, everyone, and we’ll see you back here on the Monday the North Fork’s Hidden City Orchestra calls Little Easter.
The high tides on the East End for the three day weekend are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:55 a.m., 2:28 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:03 a.m., 1:36 p.m.
Greenport: 2:32 a.m., 3:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:@5 a.m., 4:04 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:27 a.m., 3 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:54 a.m., 4:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:01 a.m., 4:34 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:11 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:52 a.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:55 a.m., 3:32 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:03 a.m., 2:40 p.m.
Greenport: 3:32 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:24 a.m., 5:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:27 a.m., 4:04 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:54 a.m., 5:31 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:01 a.m., 5:38 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:10 a.m., 2:44 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:19 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:03 a.m., 4:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:11 a.m., 3:51 p.m.
Greenport: 4:40 a.m., 5:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:28 a.m., 6:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:35 a.m., 5:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:02 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:09 a.m., 6:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:10 a.m., 3:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:19 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.