• It will be sunny today, with a high temperature near 55 degrees and a west wind 11 to 17 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 31 mph. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 34. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 57 and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 63.
On April 18, Tax Day this year, legislators and environmentalists gathered on residents’ front lawn in Islip to demand the IRS issue a ruling that Suffolk County septic improvement grants not be considered taxable income. Read More.
• Earth Day will be celebrated in force on the East End this year beginning on April 22, and continuing through the weekend with a pent-up schedule of in-person events after two years of muted celebration. Get the details.
• Tomorrow evening, April 21, Treiber Farms at 38210 Route 48 in Peconic will host a Spring Forward Poetry Jam from 7 to 10 p.m., with music by Alex Kuchta and musings by Beacon Poetry Editor Billy Hands. Presenting poets include Alex Erey, Matt Daddona, Peter Treiber and Tammy Nuzzo-Morgan. Anyone is also welcome to read their own work or something they love. Bring your own blanket.
• Next Tuesday, April 26, The Hamptons Observatory presents a special, free, virtual lecture by best-selling author and Director of Harvard’s Galileo Project, Dr. Avi Loeb, who will speak about the search for extraterrestrial life and evidence that supports the hypothesis that certain interstellar objects may be technology from another civilization. The lecture begins at 7 p.m. Here’s how to register.
• Suffolk County reported 323 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, April 18, with 5.1 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 70 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 10 of them in ICU. The county reported four new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 4,373 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:52 a.m., 1:27 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: Midnight, 12:35 p.m.
Greenport: 1:29 a.m., 2:04 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:24 a.m., 3:04 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:24 a.m., 1:59 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:51 a.m., 3:26 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:58 a.m., 3:33 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:04 a.m., 12:38 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:47 a.m., 11:10 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:48 a.m., 2:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:56 a.m., 1:33 p.m.
Greenport: 2:25 a.m., 3:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:18 a.m., 4:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:20 a.m., 2:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:47 a.m., 4:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:54 a.m., 4:31 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:01 a.m., 1:40 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:49 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.