• We’re expecting patchy frost before 8 a.m. with otherwise mostly sunny skies, with a high temperature near 57 and a northeast wind 6 to 9 miles per hour, becoming southeast in the afternoon. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 44 and a 40 percent chance of showers after 2 a.m. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers Thursday, mainly before 2 p.m., and Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 55.
• Beacon Climate Local Now columnist Mary Morgan outlines the pros and cons of community composting on the East End when compared with anaerobic digesters being considered further up the island. Read More.
• This year’s Long Island Natural History Conference on Friday, April 28, returning after a several-year hiatus due to Covid, has sold out of in-person tickets, but is offering its seminars virtually for free. Here’s how to register.
• The Greater Calverton Civic Association will hold an informational meeting on “Warehouse Breeds” in light of the huge amount of warehouse space planned for their hamlet this Friday, April 28 at 6:30 p.m. at the Riley Avenue Elementary School. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know whether you will participate in person or would like a Zoom link sent to you.
• The Run For The Petals 5K, to be held this Saturday in Greenport Village, celebrates the village’s status as a Tree City USA. Here’s more info.
• Today is the last day to subscribe to The Beacon’s print edition to receive the May issue via US Mail. You’ll read much of our coverage in print before you find it here, and print subscriptions support much of the work we do. Subscribe online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:05 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:13 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Greenport: 3:42 a.m., 4:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:22 a.m., 5:05 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:37 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:04 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:11 a.m., 5:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:01 a.m., 2:50 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:10 a.m., 12:59 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:08 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:16 a.m., 3:53 p.m.
Greenport: 4:45 a.m., 5:22 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:19 a.m., 6:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:40 a.m., 5:17 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:07 a.m., 6:44 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:14 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:52 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:01 a.m., 1:52 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.