• We’re expecting a 30 percent chance of showers after 1 p.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 50. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a 20 percent chance of showers early and a low around 33. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 53, and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 59.
• If you’ve attended any public meeting on the South Fork in the past couple months, chances are that Minerva Perez, Executive Director of the Organización Latino-Americana of Eastern Long Island, has been there advocating for a better relationship between the Latino community and local government here. We caught up with Ms. Perez in late March to talk about her vision for the future of OLA. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Dr. Christopher Gobler will give his annual “State of the Bays” address, this year titled “Hope at the Brink,” tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Chancellor’s Hall at Stony Brook Southampton. More details are in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub, online here.
• The North Fork Environmental Council and the North Fork Audubon Society are pairing up this Saturday for a special seminar on how to kick the toxic chemical habit when it comes to taking care of your lawn and garden. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The East End Seaport Museum in Greenport will hold a sneak preview of this season’s events this Saturday, April 8 from 1 to 4 p.m., with live music with The Two Daves and guided tours of the museum. Attendees and anyone who becomes a member of the museum by April 30 will receive two free tickets to visit Long Beach Bar “Bug” Light. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the week ahead. Get the full scoop in our events calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:55 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 7:03 a.m., 7:21 p.m.
Greenport: 8:32 a.m., 8:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:22 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 8:27 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:54 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:01 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:02 a.m., 5:37 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:42 a.m., 8:57 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 7:50 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
Greenport: 9:19 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:14 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 9:14 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:41 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:48 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:56 a.m., 6:26 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.