• We’re expecting patchy drizzle with a chance of showers before 8 a.m., with skies becoming partly sunny, with a high near 63 degrees and a north wind 8 to 10 miles per hour, becoming northwest in the afternoon. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 46. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 64 and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 64.
• In a historically big-monied area, it’s become an old saw to hear the phrase “the big money is coming in and taking over.” The big money has always been here. The problem we are having now is a global one. The biggest “big money” is on an order of magnitude greater than we’ve seen in the past. Read this month’s editorial for more.
• The Alzheimer’s Association’s Long Island Chapter will hold a two-day conference, “Thriving at Home on the East End: Activities and Resources for Caregivers” on Tuesday, May 11 and Wednesday, May 12, focusing on the tools and resources available here for people living with Alzheimer’s Disease and their loved ones. Read more.
• Suffolk County reported 121 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, May 8, with 1.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 144 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 36 of them in ICU. The county reported two new fatalities, bringing the death toll to 3,370 people.
• As of Sunday, May 9, 49.7 percent of Suffolk residents had received at least dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, with 39 percent of residents receiving at least one dose. The county has just begun to further break down this data by age, and is reporting that, as of Sunday, 62 percent of residents over the age of 18 had received at least one vaccine dose.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:51 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:59 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Greenport: 10:28 a.m., 10:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:31 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:23 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:50 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:57 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:09 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:32 a.m., 10:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:40 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
Greenport: 11:09 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:04 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:03 a.m., 12:31 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:10 a.m., 12:38 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:40 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:49 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.