• We’re expecting rain today, mainly before 2 p.m., with patchy fog before 10 a.m. and a high near 68 degrees. Light and variable wind will become north around 5 miles per hour. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch are possible. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain overnight, with a low around 55. Friday will be cloudy, with a high near 61 and a 60 percent chance of rain, mainly after 8 a.m. We’re expecting rain Saturday morning, with showers likely after noon and a high near 62 degrees.
• A public hearing regarding the South Fork Wind Farm project being developed by Deepwater Wind – East Hampton Town’s first large-scale renewable energy project — will be held this evening, May 17 at 6:30 p.m. at the LTV studio at 75 Industrial Road in Wainscott. All are welcome to come and speak. More details are online here.
• Our columnist Dave Davis takes a look this week at the good work done by Meals on Wheels, and by a dogged journalist chronicling the work of the volunteers and recipients of this program.
• The Riverhead Town Board’s weekly work session will begin half an hour earlier than usual, at 9:30 a.m. today. The board will discuss special permit applications from The Glass Greenhouse and Jamesport Vineyard and a Baseline Health Mobile Home Unit presentation. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a proposal for a dog park at Pine Neck Marina at their 11:45 a.m. work session this morning, which will be preceded by a closed-door executive session from 10 to 11:45 a.m. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Town of Riverhead is calling all friends, families and neighbors to join their Spring Clean-up this Saturday, May 19 at 9 a.m. The group will meet at Town Hall, designate litter-patrol areas, hand out clean-up kits (gloves, safety vests, trash bags and litter grabbers) and also provide snacks and a T-shirt for all volunteers. Interested residents, businesses, church and civic groups are also invited to join Riverhead’s new Anti-Litter committee. For more information, call Karen at 631.727.3200 extension 253.
• The North Fork Community Theatre’s new production of the musical “Oliver!” opens tonight and runs through June 3. Stay tuned for our review later this week. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:12 a.m., 11:27 p.m.
Greenport: 12:04 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:02 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:26 a.m., 2:03 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:33 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:24 a.m., 9:36 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:19 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:05 p.m.
Greenport: 12:56 a.m., 1:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:52 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:51 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:18 a.m., 2:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:25 a.m., 3:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:21 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.