• Today will be mostly cloudy, with a high temperature near 64 degrees and a northeast wind 6 to 13 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 48. Tuesday will be partly sunny and breezy, with a high near 60. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 59.
• New York State and Suffolk County announced last Friday that they will be opening state and county ocean beaches, with restrictions to prevent the spread of Covid-19, for Memorial Day Weekend. We’re expecting an announcement today from town supervisors throughout Nassau and Suffolk on how town and village beaches on the East End will open. Stay tuned.
• As of May 16, Suffolk County has met the requirements and can now resume elective surgeries and ambulatory care, according to Governor Andrew Cuomo. More information on what local hospitals are doing to return to normal after the surge of Covid patients is online here.
• An additional 175 people in Suffolk County tested positive for Covid-19 on Saturday, reported Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone on Sunday. The county saw a decline of 26 hospitalizations, with 513 people hospitalized as of Saturday, 186 of whom were in ICU, an increase of 10 ICU patients. The county had 30 percent of overall hospital capacity available, with 33 percent of ICU beds available, meeting those metrics for reopening the county’s economy. As of Monday morning, the county was meeting five of the seven metrics to enable it to reopen its economy.
• The North Fork Environmental Council is holding its annual Organic Lawn and Landscaping Workshop virtually this Wednesday, May 20 at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:54 a.m., 8:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:02 a.m., 7:23 p.m.
Greenport: 8:31 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:21 a.m., 9:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:26 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:53 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:48 a.m., 7:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:57 a.m., 5:28 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:36 a.m., 8:54 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:44 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
Greenport: 9:13 a.m., 9:31 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:07 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:08 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:35 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:42 a.m., 11 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:36 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:45 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.