• It will be partly sunny today, with a high temperature near 73 degrees and a north wind 5 to 10 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 51. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 67 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 66.
• On May 21, seven years after Marylin Banks-Winter began researching her family’s history in Bell Town, an area of African American self-determination and entrepreneurship just off of Hubbard Avenue in Aquebogue, Riverhead Town celebrated a piece of this history by designating Bell Town as the first Heritage Area in Riverhead. Read our full story.
• Anyone who’s aging on the East End (as we all are bound to do) has had the experience of having to travel quite some distance to see a specialist for a myriad number of ailments and chronic conditions. This issue has been felt deeply by the residents of Peconic Landing, the Continuing Care Retirement Community in Greenport, who often have to take the better portion of a day to visit specialists for brief appointments in Riverhead and points west. But this group of seniors wasn’t taking this challenge sitting down. Read More.
• The newly formed Southold Peconic Civic Association is inviting the public to an informative program on “Understanding SEQRA: The State Environmental Quality Review Act” with Group for the East End President Bob DeLuca, this Thursday, May 26 at 6:30 p.m. at the Southold Town Recreation Center, 970 Peconic Lane, Peconic. All are welcome to attend.
• Suffolk County reported 902 new cases of Covid-19 on Thursday, May 19, with 10 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 230 hospitalized people who had the virus, though just 50 percent of them were hospitalized due to Covid-19 or its complications. There were 11 people with Covid in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 4,416 people since March of 2020.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:42 a.m., 4:26 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:50 a.m., 3:34 p.m.
Greenport: 4:19 a.m., 5:03 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:12 a.m., 5:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:14 a.m., 4:58 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:41 a.m., 6:25 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:48 a.m., 6:32 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:53 a.m., 3:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:02 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:49 a.m., 5:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:57 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
Greenport: 5:26 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:18 a.m., 6:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:21 a.m., 6:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:48 a.m., 7:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:55 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:51 a.m., 4:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.