• It will be partly sunny today, with a steady temperature around 62 degrees and a southeast wind 9 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 47. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 70 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 83.
• Long Island’s pine barrens are unique in many ways, but one of the most startling ways they are unique among other pine barrens ecosystems throughout the eastern United States is the lack of use of prescribed fire to protect the ecosystem and the surrounding communities. That’s about to change. Read our full story.
• The Southold Town Civic Associations and the Southold Town Board are holding a virtual public meeting on Tuesday, May 25 at 6:30 p.m. to discuss limiting the size of houses in Southold Town. Read more.
• Suffolk County reported just 67 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, May 22, with 0.7 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 108 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 23 of them in ICU. The county reported no new deaths from the virus, and the death toll here stands at 3,386 people.
• As of Sunday, May 23, 789,045 Suffolk residents had received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, or 53.3 percent of the population. Among people over the age of 18, 65.7 percent of county residents had received at least one dose of a vaccine, while 44.9 of Suffolk residents were completely vaccinated.
• Suffolk is now offering walk-in clinics distributing vaccines to residents ages 12 and over. Click here for locations and times and parental consent forms. If you are confined to your home and wish to receive your Covid-19 vaccination, call 311. Suffolk County Department of Health Services staff will take your name and you will be called to schedule your free vaccination at home.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:33 a.m., 8:54 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:41 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
Greenport: 9:10 a.m., 9:31 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:09 a.m., 10:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:05 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:32 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:39 a.m., 11 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:40 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:49 a.m., 6:22 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:22 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:30 a.m., 8:51 p.m.
Greenport: 9:59 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:03 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:54 a.m., 10:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:21 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:28 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:36 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:45 a.m., 7:12 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.