• It will be sunny today, with a high near 84 degrees and a southwest wind 6 to 16 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 61. We’re expecting patchy fog before 10 a.m. Saturday, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Showers are likely before noon Sunday, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 66. We’re expecting cloudy skies on Memorial Day, with a high near 66 degrees.
• Sag Harbor’s dream of preserving the waterfront adjacent to its iconic bridge became reality this week, after Southampton Town and developer Jay Bialsky reached a $10.5 million agreement to use Community Preservation Fund funds to acquire more than an acre from Mr. Bialsky for the John Steinbeck Waterfront Park. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Riverhead Town will hold a ceremony tomorrow, May 26 at 10 a.m. renaming Lewis Street “Dashan J. Briggs Way” after Tec. Sgt. Dashan Briggs of the 106th Air Rescue Wing, a Riverhead native who died with six other airmen in a helicopter crash in Iraq in March. All are welcome to attend the ceremony at Millbrook Gables Park on Lewis Street.
• The New Suffolk Civic Association’s Annual Community Yard Sale and Bake Sale will be held tomorrow, May 26 from 8 a.m. to noon on the New Suffolk Ball Field. More details are online here.
• If you are enjoying the Memorial Day holiday in Montauk, check out the “Blessing of the Boards” at the church of St. Therese of Lisieux this Sunday, May 27 after the 8:30 a.m. and the 10:30 a.m. masses. The “boards” are SUP boards, skateboards, boogie-boards etc. The pastor, Fr. Tom Murray, will conduct the ceremonies.
• Politico magazine has an interesting story this week titled “Why Long Island Still Loves Trump,” about the reasons behind the president’s persistent popularity in Suffolk County.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:28 a.m., 7:50 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:36 a.m., 6:58 p.m.
Greenport: 8:05 a.m., 8:27 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:56 a.m., 9:21 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8 a.m., 8:22 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:27 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:34 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:32 a.m., 5:11 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:16 a.m., 8:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:24 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Greenport: 8:53 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:50 a.m., 10:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:48 a.m., 9:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:15 a.m., 10:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:22 a.m., 10:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:28 a.m., 6 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.